Sunday, June 27, 2010

Journey


This story begins the day I was born... Neah, just messing with you, wouldn't want to torture a poor soul with irrelevance! It actually began in the summer of 2007 during my internship at Clemson University. I stepped into the fitness center there and was hit by a wave of motivation when I saw people working passionately to reach their fitness goals. And that was the first time I lifted weights. Was it easy to begin with? Hell no! The challenge was not just physical; imagine my plight struggling with 15 pounds when a girl standing next to be is curling 25. I carried on anyways and was surprised to see how fast the improvement came (at least initially)! I felt alright, I was still packing fat but I was happy with the fact that I was making an effort. Here's how I looked during that time (And I dare not take my shirt off back then):

I came back to college determined that I would stick to my newly acquired healthy ways. No points for guessing that I fell off the wagon. It's surprising how easy it is to find excuses for missing workout. I tried starting a couple times and soon realized that the environment wasn't as conducive here and that I needed a gym buddy who was equally if not more serious. So I started again sometime in October 2008, this time with another fanatic Sidhant. With whatever information we could synthesize from the big dark online world we chalked out a schedule which served us well for the months to come. It was targeting one body part per day while cycling through new workouts every month or so to utilize the famous "muscle confusion" technique. I felt I had bigger biceps and chest, I noticed a little improvement on legs and on back but tummy, phew, it was there to stay! Here's me during convocation with all the baby fat:


I then came to Bangalore determined yet again to continue and failing yet again to stick to the resolution. But this time motivation wasn't a problem, time was! After spending 10 hours in the office and another on the road, my body will give me all sorts of excuses for just lying down and start watching a hundred episode tv series. I dragged myself to the gym in September and things clicked, unlike college where you could hardly find a regular goer here I saw people who looked like they took things seriously enough. I started with three days of weights and six days of cardio. Weight training was a fully body routine, that is I would do one exercise (3 sets) for each body part. Cardio was 70 minutes on dedicated days and 20 minutes on weight training days. Results were fast: from 74 kg. I came down to 65 kg. in a matter of 4 months. And yet, the tummy wouldn't go! I thought this was it, resistance seemed futile, for if this much of workout didn't chip the fat, it seemed nothing will. That, of course, was ignorance! The conventional diet which most of us live on is highly unlikely to take you there. It took me another year to realize this and though I religiously continued, the results were far too slow. I asked my gym trainers and they were as clueless (they wouldn't admit though and would try and inundate you with jargon), some of them had good bodies but they just "had" it, they didn't know how they can help others to get there. In the mean time I gave up on cardio (the boring tiring enterprise as it was) and stuck only with weights. Here's a pic (admittedly matrimonial kind) taken in May 2009:


If the last pic gave you the impression that I was fit, I'd pat myself on the back saying, "wow! i could really pull my tummy in when need arose." However, stepping out of the shower gave a glimpse of reality everyday without fail. I was getting nowhere and I was confused as to whether I should try to add muscle mass or try to cut down fat. In late December 2009, I talked to a trainer again (see I was running out of options) and he suggested me a big big diet, I obliged. I started at 69 kg. and reached 71.5 kg. in a month, the bad news was I added another inch to my waist. I had had enough, I knew that if I wanted to avoid my gym becoming just a societal meeting place (and you wouldn't believe how many people do just that) I needed a new strategy. I knew that the most important thing for me was to cut down fat, I needed definition more than size (which aesthetics aside is a healthier aim too). That's when I read and read and there was wisdom to be found if you look well enough. I understood the role of all the components: diet, weights, cardio and rest (plus a not-so-known which I will talk about later). I realized my mistakes: since my foray till the day of enlightenment I had blatantly ignored diet and was highly irregular with cardio to put it mildly. I designed a diet and a better workout and after that there was no looking back. Details will follow soon but I thought a little background wouldn't go amiss if it can serve as motivation, for after all is theorized it is the commitment to act that gets the job done!

13 comments:

  1. I have the commitment oh all-knowing Buddha. Show me the light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will write about my regimen next and try to be elaborative. Hopefully you can design one for yourself then. :)

    Btw, who might "jusAnotherThinker" be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D I will try and share what I have come to know and see if that suits you... It's simple actually as you will see :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awaiting a lengthy explanation of (every little detail) of your weight training routines + cardio routines + dietary restrictions + the secret ingredient that you promised to talk about later. I weigh 101 Kgs, so I'm on a life threatening path here.. share all the wisdom that you've gain from reading about all of this. I did my share of reading but never was motivated enough to hit the gym. I probably should do that soon or risk health problems not too much into the future! :( My main goal is to lose fat, not so much to put on muscle mass (I think I have a decent amount already but there are areas that need improvement: eg Calves).. but I realize weight training is important to break and form longer muscle fibers which will (even at rest) help burn fat. So awaiting your blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh btw, tell me if a different routine needs to apply since my starting point is way different from yours (101 Kgs). Does it entail an entirely different approach? (You routinely see endo and exo routines depending on initial body type in gym manuals but they never made any sense to me, can you explain?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am posting right away about one of the ingredient and next posts will describe things further! Yes weights are an integral part of fat loss regime, they help keep your muscles which being an active tissue help burn fat.

    You can start with a full body routine (I did 2 day splits). The approach isn't very different actually. Endomorphs, ectomorphs and mesomorphs may need a little tailoring, the golden rule is do as much as is required to loose fat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vishnu, then perhaps we should talk as well. I lost 15 kilos in 4 months, without a single trip to the gym(well not to touch the weights anyway). And now have enough energy to survive grueling 12 hour manual labour filled days, to still be able to do 1 hour of exercising.
    Now ofcourse I'm looking to 'diversify' :)

    Suri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Talk to me Suri, save my life! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. @suri: that's great... i lost close to 10 kg. in 3 months and have been hovering there for quite some time now... btw, just one suggestion (and i'm being iterative) keep track of fat percentage rather than weight... and to keep your muscle more or less intact you need to lift weights too! there's an avenue for diversification :)

    @vishnu: my next post is gonna be about diet... hope that'll help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yea, that should be helpful. The clock is ticking.. :( Its summer time here and I hope to get started on a regimen as soon as I find some motivation, which I think I have found/will find in your posts..

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great! The times I go to the gym, pool, outdoors, etc, I never lose my gut, even though I gain great muscles in my arms, legs, and abs. It's that gut that wont' go away. It's why I give up most of the time. I'll keep reading and hopefully this will all fall into place. Thanks for putting the research in to find such things - and then to share them. That's progress for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sure that if you figure out the right diet, workout, cardio and rest that works for you will loose the stubborn fat too. it takes time, discipline and effort but if you keep at it and don't give up results will sure follow. i won't reiterate what is already on the blog, so read on and hopefully it'll assist you in your fitness goals. also, i'm highly available to you for further discussion since we share the office :)

    ReplyDelete