Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Diet

I hope you took the time to write down your goals. Now lets move on to arguably the most important factor to consider when aiming for overall fitness: nutrition. Although I myself would generally use the term "diet", nutrition is a better descriptor as "diet" inherently indicates something which you do for a short period of time. Good nutrition on the other hand ought to be a life long habit.

The first step in designing a good diet is to know how much your body really needs. Yes, I am talking about calorie counting. If you think that's too extreme then let me tell you that a majority of people fail to get optimal results because they have no idea of how many calories they are actually consuming. It's a habit that will take a little time to develop but it will help you for life. You can find online calorie counter for most food items (like thecaloriecounter.com), also packaged product have their nutritional information printed for anyone who cares to read.

In order to calculate your daily calorific need use the Harris-Benedict formula to find your Basal Metabolism Rate (BMR) first:
BMR (Men) = 66 + (13.7 X wt in kg) + (5 X ht in cm) - (6.8 X age in years)
BMR (Women) = 655 + (9.6 X wt in kg) + (1.8 X ht in cm) - (4.7 X age in years)

So, for a 24 years old guy who is 176 cm. tall and weighs 62 kg. the BMR would be 1632.

Now, multiply your BMR by your activity factor to find out your daily calorific needs. Activity factor is given for different cases as:
Sedentary = 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
Lightly active = 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
Moderately active = 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
Highly active = 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
Extremely Active = 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2 X day training, marathon, football camp,contest, etc.)

Such that if the guy in the example is visiting the gym 5 days a week and working out for an hour (A.F. = 1.55) he needs 2530 calories to maintain his current weight. If he wants to cut down, a deficit of 15-20% is suggested (a heuristic figure is 500 calories deficit). He would be ill advised to cut down calories too much as in such a case starvation response would kick in and his metabolism would plummet. For bulking he should go in a similar calorific surplus.

Now that you know how many calories you need, it's time to decide on your macronutrient ratio (Protein, Carbohydrates and Fat). I started with 30-50-20 which is a good starting point for most people. For a 2200 calories diet this translates to 660, 1100 and 440 calories for protein, carbs and fat respectively. A set of handy relations for gm. to calorie conversion is:
1 gm. protein = 4 calories
1 gm. carb = 4 calories
1 gm. fat = 9 calories
(fun fact: 1 gm/ml of alcohol = 7 calories, huh!)
You can now convert your calorific requirements to requirement in gm.

Heading towards the conclusion, let me present the algorithm for diet design:
Step 1: Choose a lean protein for every meal.
Step 2: Choose a starchy carbohydrate for every meal.
Step 3: Choose your simple carbohydrates for your breakfasts.
Step 4: Choose your fibrous carbs for your lunches and dinners.
Step 5: Add essential fats if insufficient quantities are present in your foods.
Step 6: Count your meal subtotals and grand totals.
Step 7: Compare your totals to your calorie target and adjust the serving sizes.
Step 8: Assign a time for each meal.

Here lean proteins include different meats, seafood and low fat dairy products. Starchy carbohydrates include oats, potatoes, carrots, daals, beans, brown rice and whole grain products. Simple carbs are your fruits and 100% fruit products. Fibrous carbs include green veggies, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc. Essential (mono and poly unsaturated fatty acids) include nuts, virgin olive oil, natural peanut butte and fish fat.

Time for an example I guess. Here's what I have been eating for close to 5 months now:
Required Intake = 2200 calories
Breakup = 500, 500, 400, 400, 400

Food source (serving size) - calories protein(gm.) carbs(gm.) fat(gm.)
1. Milk (500 ml.) - 185.0 17.0 24.5 2.5
Oats (35 gm.) - 136.0 5.3 22.0 3.0
Banana (1 = 100 gm.) - 105.0 1.2 26.7 0.6
Almonds (9 = 10.8 gm.) - 63.0 2.7 1.8 5.4
Sweetener
Total - 489.0 26.2 75.0 11.5 (approx. 20-60-20)


2. Chicken Breast (100 gm.) - 176.0 31.6 0.0 4.6
Lentils (1 cup ckd.) - 230.0 18.0 40.0 0.0
Cucumber (1 = 300 gm.) - 45.0 2.0 10.9 0.3
Total - 451.0 51.6 50.9 4.9 (approx. 45-45-10)


3. Whey (1 scoop) - 130.0 24.0 4.0 1.5
W. W. Bread (2 slices) - 120.0 3.8 24.0 1.0
Peanut butter (1 tbsp.) - 100.0 3.5 3.5 8.0
Tomato (3 = 186 gm.) - 39.0 1.5 8.7 0.6
Total - 389.0 32.8 40.2 11.1 (approx. 34-41-25)

4. Eggs (6 whites, 1 whole) - 177.0 27.3 2.4 5.0
Potato (1000/7 gm.) - 124.0 2.4 28.6 0.1
Carrots (1000/7 gm.) - 58.0 1.3 13.7 0.3
Cauliflower (150 gm.) - 37.5 3.0 8.0 0.2
Total - 396.0 34.0 52.7 5.6 (approx. 35-53-12)

5. Shrimps (84 gm.) - 90.0 17.2 0.8 1.5
Lentils (1 cup ckd.) - 230.0 18.0 40.0 0.0
Cabbage (2 cup) - 56.0 4.0 11.6 0.8
Peanuts (10 gm.) - 34.0 1.4 1.3 2.9
Total - 410.0 40.6 53.7 5.2 (approx. 40-53-12)


GRAND TOTAL - 2135.0 185.2 272.5 38.3 (approx. 34-50-16)

As you can see, I also employed calorie tapering (reducing calories later in the day) which is a strong technique for weight (fat) loss. Sweetener is left blank coz when making this I was unsure whether I should go for artificial sweetener. The problem is that most sweetener contain either aspartame or sucralose as sweetening agent and both are a bit controversial as to their effect on health (I read somewhere that a possible side effect is death!). So, Indian friends lets just stick with sugar, American friends can try agave nectar or date sugar.

Last but not the least, I understand that this diet looks bland and tasteless but hey you can try with different spices. Add chopped onions, lemon or some herbs to improve the taste. Once or twice a week go ahead and satisfy your urges, eat whatever you want (it's your cheat day!). Reward yourself with a little pizza or brownie if you achieved your weekly but do not over-indulge! As you progress you might have to cut from two to one cheat meal but that shouldn't be an excuse for not starting altogether!

That's about it without getting into vague details and metabolic mechanisms (most of which I don't remember myself). Hope this will help you develop a habit of eating healthy and making better choices when it comes to diet.

28 comments:

  1. The formatting of the diet chart is crappy but I hope it's still understandable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great work Shezzy... Thanks :)
    I definitely need it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem! Hopefully the post was clear enough but let me know if you have any questions :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome.. I'm sure I'll have questions when I start trying this (which hopefully should be soon). Will post my questions here. Thanks Shezzy! Awaiting your cardio and weight training advice posts now. I don't have access to a gym for the next two months. I play tennis a few times a week these days and that's all the physical activity I'm involved in..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now this is some mathematics. Well one thing I am confused about is the unit of calorie specified on food items. A 200ml of real juice says it gives approx 200KCal of energy. So 200KCal is equivalent to 200,000 calories!! Does this not exceed the daily required enrgy limit of a person like me(which is about 2200cal)??
    Or is it the case that KCal and cal are used in the same sense??

    Last year at my intern, I along with my friends started going to gym in my office. I went for about 8-10 days then stopped. What frustrated me the most that after going 20-25 mins on a trade-mill, it only showed a calorie count of about 150cal burnt which was easily undone by a mere 200ml of fruit juice after(which was free though in our office :D)!! :O
    In all the whole gym process went to waste without control in the food habits. Hence I see the importance of sticking to calculated diet.

    Keep up the good work!! Shall try to follow.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @vishnu: sports and other physical activities are definitely good but they are intermittent in nature. As you will see in my post on cardio, you need to maintain your heart rate in "the zone" for maximal benefit. So, if you have no gym, buy good running shoes, pick up your ipod and go around the campus. :)

    @vinay: The KCal is actually 1 food calorie and yeah, all these juices are actually just sugar. That's why I said 100% fruit products. That's another good thing about calorie counting you become much more cautious of what goes into your mouth :D Calories shown on machines are actually a little bogus coz it shows the same no. whether a fit guy is on it or an obese but in reality a fit guy will burn more. Still, if you were just burning 150 calories in 20-25 minutes you were going easy on yourself :D You'll see more in my cardio post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Shezzy: Super post! To put so much information into such a short post, is quite helpful.

    @Vinay: The way Shiraz does cardio is crazy. 150cals in 20mins is good for beginner. You should slowly push yourself. Key is being regular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks shoban.. glad I could convey it all! :)

    lolz, i know it may seem that i do cardio like crazy but i was aiming for optimal fat loss so had to do more cardio :D and yeah you should start slow but then you'll have to pick up the pace :) regularity is definitely required!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm curious to know how crazily do u do your cardio?? how much cal u burn in your workout each time??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like I said calories burnt isn't very reliable but in any case I burn 450 on weight training days and 600 on dedicated cardio days... The time I take is around 35 and 45 minutes respectively...

    Btw, check out the post on cardio for more info!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi sheeraz,

    small doubt on the nutrition part ..... you say 30% of ones daily diet should be protein (roughly), which is about 600 calories of protein = 150 grams of protein (4g/cal) .... isnt this too huge an amount ? usually i have seen daily requirements as ~50g of protein, and that is what I have been trying to include in my diet, so i was a bit confused .... thanks
    kartik

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey kartik,
    50 gm. is actually too less, it might be alright for sustenance if one is sedentary but for active males specially those lifting or getting another form of exercise (moderate to high intensity) the heuristic i have seen people post is 1 gm/lb of your weight... That actually gives a good ballpark estimate (i am around 140 pounds so 140 gm. protein).

    Try reading about "macronutrient ratios" most likely you'll find similar figures I mentioned. However, keep in mind that this ratio (30-50-20) is a good starting point and you may have to do some tuning to see what works best for you.

    hope that helps,
    sheeraz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Any links to possible ways to tune the system for an individual? Thanks, Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think any website can give a good input on an individual's diet. Your best bet is to start with the average ratio 30-50-20 and then tweak ur diet based on what it tells you; you might have to alter the calories or the ratio or both. As an example, I started bulking in April 11, I started on 3k calories, got gains for about 2 months then i had to add another 100 calories and by the time i finished the phase in August I was at 3300 calories and not gaining so what was my bulking diet became my maintenance due to added mass. But in my case, the ratio still works. Some people have bad tolerance for carbs and they might have to reduce carbs and add protein or good fats. One extreme is ketogenic diet when ppl drastically cut their carbs but most of us can avoid the extremes and still get good results!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sheeraz, Awesome post!
    1 question, you calculate one's daily calorific requirements from BMR. But due to a person's negligence, obviously your BMR decreases..in that case how do you calculate calorific requirements?
    Also, let us say if a person has to gain muscle/loose fat by the same amount (5/-5 kgs say), what path should be followed, bulking cutting or zigzag? Or should he just eat right and keep his workout good, and the results will follow?
    Also 2 things that i thought was missing in macro-nutrient section, Fiber and Water. 2 important constituents of a person's diet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vikas!
      1. All the calculations are more like heuristic starting point. The only way to be sure (short of fancy/expensive gadgets) is trial and error. Like I know that for me maintenance is around 3000 calories, higher than, significantly higher than the calculation suggests. So, start with that number, follow it for a week and see what happens to the weight. If it stays the same that's your maintenance.
      2. It's extremely difficult to gain muscle and loose fat at the same time. Cycling through bulking and cutting is possibly the best approach. Results won't be optimal unless you hit the right balance in terms of calories and solid workouts as well as rest.
      Fiber and water are not really considered macro-nutrients but sure they are important. Thing about fibers is if you are eating good carbs (whole grain) you don't have to worry about meeting your fiber needs. I got a nutritional profile done last week and turns out I am comfortably above the fiber requirements for me. 5-6 liters of water is also great, you can err on the higher side rather than lower here.

      Delete
  16. Shezzy, few more things:
    1. Out of the above 5 meals, which one is your after-workout meal? When do you workout, in the evening?
    2. I see in few meals, the amount of protein per meal is way greater than what our body can consume at one time, 25 grms. How is that taken care of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Things have changed now! My metabolism is significantly higher so I eat 6 times to fuel and boost it. Right now my post workout meal is: 2 whole wheat bread slices, 1 tbsp peanut butter, an apple (or another fruit) and a scoop of whey in 200 ml. of skim milk. That's about 560 calories with 40 gm protein, 80 gm carbs and 10 gm fat.
      2. The 25 gm thing is a myth and far as I can tell has no research backing. Also, I mostly disregard almost all the "facts" which slap a constant for every person all the time. You need more protein right after a workout for example. Read more about it, you will find a whole lot of opinions. Again, the starting point for me is macro-nutrient ratio and then I look at results. If I am erring on the higher side and not all of it is getting absorbed, it's still better than being low on protein and compromise the results. Again, a little trial and error. Bodies are too complex of a system to be guided by a fixed principle. Every now and then I see some outcomes which surprise me but I have come accept that such occurrences are part of the deal.

      Delete
  17. Hi, I think you're in the USA right now. May I know where exactly you buy the chicken breast & shrimp?

    Do you buy pre-cooked chicken and shrimp?

    Also, what protein powder do you use?

    If I wanna do workout in the early morning, how exactly i've to change my diet (i mean what to eat for pre-workout and post-workout)
    Your reply is greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Samuel, yes I am in San Diego now. I buy frozen chicken breast tenderloins from Trader Joes, mostly because I can cook them faster. But when I was interning in Santa Clara and didn't have a Trader Joes closeby, I just bought chicken breasts, cut them to be more sizable and then cook, so it doesn't matter much.

      I don't eat shrimps anymore, they are just too expensive here. Instead I eat turkey and canned tuna since they are easy to find and reasonably priced. I use Optimum Nutrition Whey as one of my meals.

      I workout around 9:30 in the morning. I have breakfast around 8, preworkout supplement at 9, and then a post workout meal around 10:30-10:45. For post workout, I eat nuts, cucumber, a fruit, whey protein in soy or almond milk and oats (I make a shake out of the last three actually). Hope that helps :)

      Delete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Shezzy,


    Thx a ton for ur reply! Do you cook/fry chicken breast eveyday?

    What about the turkey? Do you cook turkey curry? I still have more questions, may i get ur email id ;)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grill or bake marinated chicken (2.5 lbs) on Sunday, and eat it through the week. Similarly, I cook ground Turkey in tomato paste and taco seasonings (I try different seasonings actually).

      I will be adding to the blog more very soon, so that should answer some more questions. My ankle injury put a hold on my plans. But if you have something really specific, my email is shezzy153 on gmail :)

      Delete
  20. Hi Shezzy! I am in India and started working out since a month. I read your blog and it gave me very good guidance. I need to ask something very basic but important. How does one measure fat % in body? What is the sort of test one needs to do to figure this out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Aditya,
      Glad to hear the blog helped :) Body fat percentage can be measured in several way, but the ones that I would expect to be more readily available in the gyms are the biometric impedance machine (sends a small current through the body to determine composition) and the skinfold method (a trainer takes pinch measurements at different locations that can be translated to composition via an empirical chart). The former is possibly less accurate but it at least gives you a baseline. The latter is better but only if the trainer knows how to do it, and it's hard to do it yourself.

      When I was in India, I got the skinfold measurements at my gym in Bangalore, and the trainer was pretty consistent. So, I would expect that you can find a knowledgeable one too. BF% is possibly one of the best ways to track progress. As for weight, I weigh almost the same now as I did 5 years back, so if I was only looking at the scale, it would seem I made no progress. Good luck with the fitness journey, and hope this helps :)

      More info on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage

      Delete
  21. Hi Shezzy,
    I am Hari, a student at the Darden school at UVA and I find your blog very motivating and informative.
    A big thanks to your efforts.
    I had a quick question on pre-workout supplements:
    1) Which pre-workout supplement do you use?
    2) How much of a time gap would you recommend between the pre-workout meal and the workout?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Hari,
      Thanks for the appreciative words, glad to know the blog helped you. Actually I have a friend at Darden: Sanjeev. Small world!

      As for your questions:
      1) I just finished BSN N.O. Xplode, and I will be starting on Cellucor C4 next. Cycling the pre-workouts is often suggested.
      2) I eat around 8 a.m. and start workout at 9:30, which has been working fine for me. Most venues would recommend 1-1.5 hours gap between meal and workout. However, pre-workout supplement is generally taken ~30 mins before the workout.

      I have been meaning to write about supplements next, but I was busy with my thesis proposal. Got done with it yesterday, so hopefully I will post soon, and talk about issues in more details.

      Delete
  22. Great Shezzy! Thanks for the info. Looking forward to your post on supplements

    ReplyDelete